Thursday, August 12, 2010

Day 11: Dear Lima, I hate your stinkin' guts.

Well, I was not incorrect about the predicted adventure from Ayacucho to Lima.  The drive itself was fine until we got to Lima.  The trip took about nine hours, with one major stop along the way to make some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches about three hours outside of Lima.  We also stopped for gas, where a bunch of little boys ran over to our car, where they proceeded to sing, dance, and play “drums” (cardboard boxes) for us.

Lima traffic is the most awful traffic I have ever seen in my life.  I’m pretty sure I had a dozen mini heart attacks with the number of times cars almost slammed into us.  It’s definitely a scary experience, and I will never in my life drive in Lima.

We knew when we left Ayacucho without a hotel reservation in Lima it was going to be a challenge.  I don’t think any of us knew how big of a challenge it was going to be.  We spent over three hours, going to more than 30 hotels (I’m not joking), and only found three vacancies with enough space for the three of us.  A little before 10pm, we settled on a Best Western (which isn’t terrible, but is definitely far from great) and called off the search.  We’re still trying to figure out what to do about tomorrow night (and hoping that the Radisson has a cancellation) so it should be interesting tomorrow as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment